This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Check if app is running in SILENT UNINSTALL

3 replies to this topic

suvidha

suvidha
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 19:47

As windows 2000 OS does a silent uninstall, what is happening is that user is able to uninstall the application while it is still running!!

Is there any way of checking if the app is running in silent uninstall.

if not, then can anyone tell me how to suppress the silent uninstall mode in Windows 2000. ( i don't want to disable 'Remove' button from the Win2K panel)

This is urgent as we have a release!
please help.
thanks
suvidha

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 21:43

Hi,
1. Did you try to uninstall when the application is running? It seems to me you should receive a dialog "File In Use" and Windows Installer will ask you to close this application before.
2. You can create a custom action (e.g C++ dll) to kill all necessary processes at the beginnng of uninstallation.
Best regards,
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com

suvidha

suvidha
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 22:05

Hi Irina,

Yeah...i tried uninstalling my application while it was running (it was minimised and lay on the task bar) but no dialog box  ("File In Use" ) showed up!!

what happens is that
1. it uninstalls the shortcuts
2. Leaves behind the directories and files
3. And in the end, it says "You need to reboot your computer. Do you want to do it Now/Later?"

Please tell me where i am going wrong.

thanks
suvidha
suvidha

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 13:42

Hi,
I guess th best way to do is to kill processes manually by any C code custom action. If the files are not executables or don't have a window with a title associated with it then Windows Installer can not detect them.
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com