This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Module Dependencies

4 replies to this topic

BSS

BSS
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:19

I am creating a MSI project and adding merge modules to it. But these merge modules have other modules as its dependencies. For example M1 is dependent on M2. M2 sits in some root directory and M1 in targetDir. Is it possilbe to make M2 to install in the same dir as M1.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 13:35

When you create the module you can specify the destination folder. You could also make the module retargettable. Or you can set the merge module's destination path (like INSTALLDIR.module-guid) to the desired path.

chrpai

chrpai
  • Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 16:48

When you add a module to InstallShield, InstallShield prompts you to associate the retargetable folder to a folder know by the InstallShield product. But you are correct, this has no effect on the remaining modules that are brought in as dependencies of the one you just added. I only know of two ways to handle this:

1) Don't have dependant modules. Have all modules directly referenced by the ISMergeModule table.

2) Do a "postbuild hack" where instead of associating the diretory tables in InstallShield you do an update on the Directory table post build and say set the Parent Directory to INSTALLDIR where DefaultDir = ".:Module Retarget......." You will also need to have an MSI SetProperty CA ( Type 51 ) sequenced after InstallInitialize to set TARGETDIR = INSTALLDIR so that any registry table entries and/or CustomActionData entries will point to the "correct" directory table entry.

Also beware, there is a bug in Visual Studio 2005 merge modules that I inquired about in another thread that no one ever replied to.
Christopher Painter, MCSE
Author of:
DeploymentEngineering.com
MSI Factory Provider for ADO.NET 2.0 (Work In Progress)
99 Bottles Of Beer - Windows Installer

PM for personal communication only. Please ask questions in the forums.

grisdeya

grisdeya
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 18:44

Setup installs an application that uses a reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2,5 Library in a modulate .bas (sax BASIC). I add to setup MDAC25.msm (is it correct??) and anyway could not be added. huh.gif ... sad.gif

Somebody knows the reason? pleasee.. smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 19:37

grisdeya: there's no need to use large colored font. Instead of posting your quetion in multiple, unrelated threads, I suggest you start a new topic for your question.

As far as I know MDAC is unrelated to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects.