This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

_Merge Module for .NET Framework

3 replies to this topic

caselli

caselli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 19:27

Hello,

Does anyone know where or when will be available a merge module to install the .NET Framework ?

I'm producing a web deployment project under VS.NET and the wizard creates automatically a dependency for a file with the name:

dotnetfxredist_x86_enu.msm

But I can't find it in Microsofts site.
Francisco Caselli[br]PHC

davidpbrown

davidpbrown
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 02:18

If you install the VisualStudio.Net, you will get this merge module. Unfortunately, it will not work. The "official" distribution is using dotnetfx.exe.

See: Detail on redistribution of the .Net Framework

Why? I have no idea! It's very frustrating to me. Has anyone out there done this? I can't use the default deployment because my CLR is conditional on someone selecting the feature that requires it. We don't want to bloat the users drive if not required.

caselli

caselli
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 19:06

Yes.
After I posted this, I found the merge module and I also read the Microsoft article about the way to distribute the framework and the note about not beig possibile to redistribute the Framework merge module.

I decided to use the setup bootstrapper that installs dotnetfx.exe before executing my setup.
But it sure is a very ugly way to solve the problem.
I would much rather use the merge module.

They might rethink this. Let hope so.
Francisco Caselli[br]PHC

dkbritz

dkbritz
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 04:39

I've actually had a bug using that bootstrapper setup with Windows ME.  I get an error message after it installs the Framework and tries to suppress the reboot.  

Does anyone know of a way to get around this?  Perhaps we could make a merge module for dotnetfx but I doubt it.