This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

HTTP Location

1 reply to this topic

InstMarco

InstMarco
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:47

Hi all,

I have a small installation project, where our installation works just fine.

Now we have included a new software in our installation packages, that doubles our installation package, that all our customers need to have. But instead of including it in our current installation, I would like to make a call to a HTTP download location, and InstallShield downloads that files during the installation runtime, or use the HTTP Location property from the features to get this new file, and during the installation, InstallShield will unpack and install this files automatically to the TARGETDIR folder.

Is this possible? It would saves us a lot of disk space smile.gif

Small description of what I like InstallShield to do:

The end user starts the installation.
The user select where he/she would like to install our software.
Then InstallShield will download the additional software that needs for our software to work
that every customer needs.

Then installshield copies all the files from the installshield package, and then installs all the files
from the downloaded zip or installshield file, the user do not have to select this zip file, it will always be included, but always downloaded form a HTTP location.

So any example on how to do this with InstallShield Spring 2012 Script would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Marco Eberhardt.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:19

I haven't yet tried to use a feature's HTTP Location property to include files from the web, but I have instead successfully callled the CopyFile() function with a szSrcFile that was a URL and that's worked great.

In your case, you could then key off that feature being installed in order to make the appropriate CopyFile() call.

Hope it helps and let me know if you need anything further.
user posted image