This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation Listing in Add/Remove Programs Applet

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 19:36

We install what amounts to Major Upgrades. With every build, I change the Package and Product codes along with the Product Version.

It used to be in the past, that when I installed an upgrade, the previous entry in the Add/Remove Programs applet was replaced with that from the latest upgrade.

Even on our QA machines when the Product Version didn't change, but I changed the Package and Product codes this was handled, what I thought was, correctly. If I changed the Pack/Prod codes, but not the version, two instances would appear in Add Remove Programs. However, when the next upgrade came with Prod/Pack code as well as Version changed, those two entries were replaced with one, the current release entry.

Now, it seems that every installation is logged in Add/Remove programs as a separate entry. Has something changed with Windows Installer or something causing this to be handled differently?

sad.gif sad.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:26

This looks as if the implicit uninstall of the old version during your major upgrade fails. A log will tell you.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 22:53

I know at one point, I had to move RemoveExistingProducts to follow InstallFinalize to avoid other problems we were having. Could this be the problem (I thought it still functioned 'properly' after doing this, however) or do you mean something else by implicit uninstall?

How can I log this to see what the problem is?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:51

Yes, that's what I mean. See
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm