This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Extracting MSM files

8 replies to this topic

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 21:58

Hi,

I would like to know how I can extract .msm files using InstallShield 6.2

What steps should I take as an Installshield developer?

Thanks,
Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 00:11

Well an MSM of course is a standard merge module for the Windows Installer, so I must ask what one(s) would you like to extract? 'cause really with IS Professional you use InstallShield Objects or redistributable setups in place of merge modules.
user posted image

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 16:42

As of now, msvc redistributable file is the one that we want to extract. But in future maybe some more..

I have no idea as to how to proceed.. We need to extract them using IS only.. Also, please let me know if I need to move to higher version of InstallShield to make the extraction possible.

Many thanks,
Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 23:46

Well the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime redistributables are available as free, stand-alone setups from Microsoft's web site.

If you're interested, I can give you an exact URL for v6.0 when I'm back at work on Tuesday.
user posted image

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 20:52

Hi,
I am not sure whether I am understanding these things correctly. Can I not use installshield to extract the files? or are there other ways in which msm files can be extracted ? But I have only Installshield 6.2.. What should I be doing.

I have very little information regarding the whole msm stuff. so, im not able to explain properly either.. It would be great if you could pinpoint as to what I should do to extract msm files from IS... without using windows installer or anything else.

Thanks,
Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 23:06

No, you cannot use InstallShield Professional 6 to extract files from MSM installs as MSMs are designed for Windows Installer-based setups, not InstallScript. As for other ways, I don't know since I've never really done much with MSI before, but even if you could, you'd be going about it the wrong way.

Instead you should simply launch these redistributables setups from within your InstallScript to apply the necesssary files during installation.

Edited by Taco Bell, 01 October 2003 - 14:16.

user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 05:38

Note that in DevStudio 9 you can create InstallScript projects (identical to Professional 7) and you can add merge modules to them (DevStudio will automatically add a mini-MSI object for the MSMs)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 14:22

Here's a link to where you can get the redistributable setup for Visual Studio C++ 6.0 SP4 runtime support. If you want the redistributable for SP5, then you'll have to request the CD get the latest Vcredist.exe because MS changed the way it was distributed.
user posted image

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 22:30

Thanks a lot for your replies.
:-)

Vishwa