This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Applying a Patch Deletes Unversioned Files

1 reply to this topic

Craig Post

Craig Post
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2001 - 00:23

Hi all,

I'm generating a patch for using the Patch Wizard in IPWI 2.03.  After applying the patch to a test system, all the files except for the new files (included in the patch) and the non-updated but versioned files are deleted.  All the txt files, bmp files, etc. are removed.  

I have run into this problem on 2 seperate installs, both of which were originally packaged as compressed installs.  Looking at the log files it appears to be doing a FileCopy operation on the deleted files, since it can't find them on the Source CD (since the install is compressed), it just wipes out the file on the test machine.  

I have tried uncompressing my original install, installing it, and then patching it.  This works perfectly, no deleted files, no headache.  Unfortunately, all of our existing installs out in the general public are compressed, and therefore currently unpatchable.  Has anyone else run into this problem or a similar one?

Frank

Frank
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 18:45

Yes,

I have exactelly the same problem, but no solution.
I made a major update.
Patching causes 2 problems. The feature state is not migrated correctly. Means starting the patch, going to the custom installation shows all features unselected?!
You have to select the fearures again you want to install. But that is minor.
The other (meaner) part is, that after the RemoveOldProduct all unversioned files are gone ?!

Repair looks for them on the original intallation disk but can not find them, because it searches for an uncompressed file and not for the index in the cab file.

Any help would be great.

Thank you