This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Putting Japanese chars into string table?

1 reply to this topic

discomonger

discomonger
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 21:07

Hi, I'm trying to internationalize an InstallShield 6.31 install.  One of the languages is Japanese.  We got all the translated strings back in the form of Excel spread sheets.  I can view the strings just fine in the spread sheet but I haven't been successful at getting them from there into the Japanese string table in my install.  

I know it's not just that it doesn't display correctly in InstallShield, because I've tried the built install on a machine running Japanese Windows and it looks like garbage there as well.

Has anyone out there done this successfully?  Taken Japanese (or any Asian language I suppose) strings from a Word doc or an Excel spreadsheet and  gotten it into the InstallShield string table somehow?  If so I would _really_ appreciate hearing how it was accomplished...

Thanks!
-Karen

discomonger

discomonger
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 00:02

Okay, after a lot of trial and error I managed to figure out a series of actions that will cause the correct characters to end up in InstallShield:

1.  Save strings from Excel as Unicode text.
2.  Open unicode text file with MS Word.  Tell it to open the file as unicode.
3.  Choose Save As and tell Word to save the file as "Encoded text"
4.  When prompted, choose the correct encoding for the language you are currently working with.  If you didn't do the translation yourself you may need to get the translator to tell you what encoding was used.
5.  Open the encoded text file using Notepad.  Now you can cut and paste the strings into InstallShield.  It will look like garbage in InstallShield but it will be correct when you run the install on native Japanese Windoze.

I only verified the results on a Japanese translation.  I'm not sure this would work on any other languages (Thai, Chinese, Korean, etc.)

-Karen