This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Reference count for shared dll

3 replies to this topic

Mayank

Mayank
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:27

Hi All,

I've consumed a third party merge module in my installer which contains mostly shared components. if user "repairs" and then "remove" the product then those files are not getting removed.

Reason i found is "repair" increases the share count. since it's not reaching to "0" during product uninstallation, files are not getting removed

I checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

after repairing, share count gets increase.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mayank

Edited by Mayank, 16 July 2012 - 04:27.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:46

Sounds like a bug in the Installer engine. Did you create this merge module? Then you could turn off the "shared dll" falg. Windows Installer will use its own reference counting anyway. The shared dll count is just an extra counter for compatibility with non-msi setups.

Mayank

Mayank
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:48

Thanks Stefan. It's third party merge module, that's why i'm hesitating to modify components attribute.

Regards,
Mayank

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 15:29

You could hack in something that deletes one of the reference count entries on repair in a custom action..

That would offset the extra references.