This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Uninstall remove only requered feature

5 replies to this topic

rakeshkr

rakeshkr
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 17:24

Hi All,
I have a product which has more than one features. one features is required and other is optional. When i install the product with more than one features and then in the silent mode i provide the option to uninstall optional feature my product does not get uninstalled but when i provide the option to uninstall required feature uninstaller removes the required features leaving aside the optional features.

Is there any way to force Uninstaller to remove the product only when we provide the option REMOVE=ALL and should not remove when i provide any other option like REMOVE=XYZ

Description:- Product P has three features x,y,z where x is required feature.
Install product P with features x and y.
now perfoem the silent uninstall with command line option
1) P.exe /s /v" /qn REMOVE=y"
it does not remove any features
2) P.exe /s /v" /qn REMOVE=x"
it removes the feature x which is requred for the product and hence optional features to work.
3) P.exe /s /v" /qn REMOVE=ALL"
It removes whole product which is correct.

my concern here is command 2

Please help...

Thanks in advance...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 17:50

Are all three features top level features, or are any of them sub-features?

Cases 2 and 3 look good to me. The "optional" setting only affects the UI in the feature tree, removing the "red x" option for the feature.

Not sure why case 1 doesn't remove the feature you specidied to be removed.

Possibe workarounds:

A) Instead of placing the compoents that are required for y and z in feature x, put them in both: y and z. A component can be included in multiple features. Note that this may not work properly with COM components.

cool.gif Make x the top level feature (root feature, typically with the product name as feature name) and make all other features children of x. Now removing x would be removing the root feature, which is equivalent to a full uninstall.

rakeshkr

rakeshkr
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 18:15

Thanks for your Suggestion...

All the three Features are top level features.

But what i want is When i Say REMOVE= "ALL" then only product should be uninstalled. I dont want to uninstall the features seperately.
So when i say REMOVE = x or y or z uninstaller should not remove any features and let the product be as it is.

Is there any workaround for such kind of problem?

Thanks in advance...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 15:17

If you don't want to allow feature based uninstall then either use just one feature, or add a custom action that will detect and abort if not all features are selected in REMOVE.

rakeshkr

rakeshkr
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:39

So Can be get the information Waht is the Value of REMOVE set at the command prompt. So that i can take care of this in my CA. if so can you please let me know how to get the Value of Commandline argument here(Here Value of REMOVE)

Thanks for your help...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:40

REMOVE is a property so you can use it like any other property.