This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

USB drivers

6 replies to this topic

efk

efk
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 08:54

Hello,
I would like to know the exact paths to install INF and SYS files for Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP.

I thought that it is "WINDIR\inf" for INF files and "WINDIR\system32\drivers" for SYS files
But this fails for instance with some XP os. It seems that there is another important folder named "WINDIR\LastGood\system32\drivers"

Frank.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 17:49

I have some documents I printed out regarding this stuff, but was able to leave it as a manual process for the last release, so I didn't have to deal with it.

I also won't have to since we're switching to a Windows Installer-based setup for this next release which automatically takes care of it.

Do you actually want to install the USB driver or just want to make the files available to the user/system?  'cause you should be able to just run the INF routine and let it to do its thing.

Let me know, and I'll pull out those printouts in the meantime.
user posted image

efk

efk
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 18:18

Thank you for your answer.
I just want to make the files available to the user/system.

Actually, I am using IE Express 2.12 and it does not work well regarding usb drivers installation. So I am checking what new software version shall I buy.

I would like to know if IE Express 4 is able to store INF and SYS files in there right folders, whathever is the operating system (98, ME, 2000, XP, XP pack1, XPpro, XPpro pack1), or if I have to buy a more powerfull software like IE.

And for my knowledge, I would like to know what are these different path.

Frank.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 19:30

Ah, wrong forum then, but I'll check my resources in a bit here and tell you what I can.
user posted image

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 21:19

Okay, here's a article from the MSDN Library about Copying INFs and another about Installing INFs.

Both are from the Driver Development Kit, so they're a bit technical, but hopefully you can find what you want.
user posted image

efk

efk
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 23:20

Thank you for your help.

Yes, it is a bit technical. I will read carefully these pages until this becomes more clear.

Best Regards.
Frank.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 23:36

Since InstallShield Express 2.x related, moving to Other forum for any future updates.

user posted image