This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can not debug Scripts

7 replies to this topic

ArneLagrange

ArneLagrange
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:05

Hi all,

I'm using the InstallShield 10.5 Version (German). In the older version (6.3) I had no problems with the script debugging.

In the new Version the debugger does not work at all.
Do I have to check some hidden Checkboxes or stand on one feet to debug ?

I checked all the recommended settings. (hopefully)
My project file contains a *.dbg, a *.rul, *.inx file and the setup.exe is also there.

Maybe I made some mistakes by registering the IsDbg.exe ?

Calling it with /REGSERVER does not seem to have any effect. Using /REGSVR brings up the IsDbg App (I don't know why...)

Registering the IScript.dll with RegSvr32 pops up the MessageBox that the dll was registered succesfully.

But starting the IsDbg.exe and opening some rul files (or dbg) has no effect. The buttons are disabled.
In the Installshield IDE nothing happens at all. I wrote a function that should be called OnBegin . But I can not set any breakpoints (doubleclick as the help suggested, has no effect) Even starting and hoping that the debugger will start then (as it happends in version 6.3) has no effect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Arne

murraymc

murraymc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 14:36

I have had similar problems with IS X. The installs were all IS 6.3 installs converted to X.

Some of the projects were fine, fortunately the ones that would not debug were fairly small and I fixed the problem by creating the broken installs again as new IS X InstallScript installs & copying over the Code and adding any components, etc.

Murray

ArneLagrange

ArneLagrange
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 14:44

QUOTE (murraymc @ 2005-01-28 14:36)
I have had similar problems with IS X. The installs were all IS 6.3 installs converted to X.

Some of the projects were fine, fortunately the ones that would not debug were fairly small and I fixed the problem by creating the broken installs again as new IS X InstallScript installs & copying over the Code and adding any components, etc.

Murray

Hi Murray,

Thanxs for the condolence....

My problem is that the debugger doesn't work at all. That means even if I start a new project without any old scripts and start the debugger nothing happens.

Maybe it has something to do with my Visual Studio 2003 installation ?
I dont know. Do you have Visual Studio on your build PC?

Arne

murraymc

murraymc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 14:48

Yes I have Visual Studio 6 & 2003 on the development system. I have just hit the same problem with one of my main installers whish going to be a real pain to fix.

I'll post this up on support.installshield.com forums as well.

If an uninstall/reinstall of IS X fails to fix it you might have to do the same as I am right now. Rebuild my primary development box. Not fun, taken 3 days so far...

I have got to create an drive image of this thing one day ;-))

Murray

ArneLagrange

ArneLagrange
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 16:36

Hi Murray,

I just fixed it (at least it seems to work...on my machine)

I am using the german versiojn of IS and there seems to be a problem with the Isdbg.exe itself. The german exe that comes with the package has the version number 10.1.0.238.

I downloaded the english trial version and copied the IsDbg.exe (version 10.50.0.125) to my shared folder/Installshild/IScript. After registering it with /REGSERVER and , believe it or not, it works fine in my german version.

I dont know what really happens in the "Isdbg.exe /REGSERVER" process but I think that there is a mistake in the german version. Maybe a translation error in the cmd argument ? Who knows...

I don't know where to post my experiances, because there might be more german guys like me out in the developer world... and if my workaround is one way of solving the problem they should have the problem, too ....
Or am I wrong? Maybe I am the only one using the german version.....
Do you know an email address from installshield where to sent my observation..

Thanks for your postings....

Arne

murraymc

murraymc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:12

Good news biggrin.gif

I am afraid I don't have an installshield address but if you check www.installshield.com there will be a link there somewhere.

Ah well back to the XML File Changes editor...

Murray

bkamala

bkamala
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 23:53

Hi ,

I also had problem in debugging installation code in InstallShield X which I copied from another system.

I copied IsDbg.exe from that system and registered it.Now it is working fine.

Thanks,
KB

Weissenborn

Weissenborn
  • Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 13:24

Hi to all,

can anyone support me with the isdbg.dll 10.5x?

I have the same Probleme, and as Installshield has updatet to 11 now and they don't support their users with a bugfix I hope that somebody help me by sending me the file.

gregor.weissenborn@meg.mee.com

Greetings from
Gregor