This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Shortcuts/Folder + Properties

4 replies to this topic

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 18:43

Hi there,

Ok, say I create a shortcut in the shortcuts/folder.  What I'm trying to do is set the the 'Display Name' to something like the following:

[PRODUCT_NAME] [PRODUCT_VERSION] where PRODUCT_NAME, and PRODUCT_VERSION are defined properties in the properties table.  

Instead of getting the values for product_name, and product_version, i end up with the strings '[PRODUCT_NAME] [PRODUCT_VERSION]' any idea what the heck I'm doing wrong?  

My main reason for doing this is because I don't want to hardcode product specific information in my shortcuts area + if i can access the properties table, at least this part will be dynamic.

Thanks for your help.

rmadassery77

rmadassery77
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 06:19

The Name column does not support properties. It adds a shortname to any value you enter in this column so when you add [ProductName] it will be stored as Produc~1|[ProducatName] something.

Best is, you write a CA getting ProductName property and rename the .lnk file with the value. ;)
Rajiv Madassery
Galway Scripting Center
Digital GlobalSoft Ltd.
(Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company)

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 18:59

an even easier solution is to use the builtin function:
RenameFile (sourceFile, destinationFile);

haffster

haffster
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 15:23

In my experience, renaming like this causes the shortcuts to be left when the product is uninstalled, can anyone confirm?

thx

-haffi

tl0

tl0
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 19:53

QUOTE (haffster @ 2003-03-31 14:23)
In my experience, renaming like this causes the shortcuts to be left when the product is uninstalled, can anyone confirm?

thx

-haffi

Hi,
Yes renaming shortcuts will cause them to be left over. You need to write a custom action that gets executed which either
1) deletes the shortcut that you changed
2) change back the name of the shortcut to what it was originally so the uninstaller can locate it and delete it.

perhaps there are other methods, but I just use method #1.