This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Service install (component vs /Service)?

2 replies to this topic

MGF128

MGF128
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2001 - 20:47

My setup using the "Install NT Service" component copies the Service exe to the correct folder, and it is listed in the Services applet with all the correct information, but when I start it up, it times out responding to the control function and stops.  However, if I then run it from the command line with the /UnRegServer switch, and the /Service switch, and then start it up from the Services applet, it starts up and responds correctly.  What's the difference between installing a service using an "Install NT Service" component, and installing it by running it on the command line with the /Service switch?  How can I compare the two?  Any help appreciated.

Andy van Stokkum

Andy van Stokkum
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 17:48

I have noticed the same problem. I am extracting the registry information from the com service at build time, and I have found that ISWI puts incorrect information into the registry.

When you use the command line /Unregserver (to remove crap) then /Service, the registry info is entered correctly and the service starts.  Of course doing this during the install is deemed 'bad practice'!