This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to document changes ?

1 reply to this topic

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 17:53

Hello again everyone,

The majority of my InstallShield experience was writing complete installation programs using InstallScript.

As I made changes to the script, I was able to note the date, time and reason I was making the change as well as explanations as to what each routine was doing and why.

Now however, I am using InstallShield Professional Windows Installer edition 2.3 (and soon InstallShield 11).

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to document what I do.

IE:
How do I document when I "comment out or inactive" a custom action and why I did it ?

How do I document when I add or changes custom actions ?

How do I document when I add additional features or "hide" them ?

How do I document when I add new public or private properties ?

Me thinks you get the idea.

Up until now, I was doing screen shots and then pasting them into a word document, along with notes, that I kept inside of the project folder.

Then I would update this doc each time I made a change.

I would be interested in hearing how others document their additions, deletions and modifications to installation programs.

Is there a "standard" way to be doing this documentation ?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Ray in Wisconsin

tktk

tktk
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:28

Hi Ray,

the standard way is to put project file under version control system like cvs and to document change log as its commit (or check in) message.

Cheers,