This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

user mode+NTFS+earlier version of ikernel

4 replies to this topic

samokok

samokok
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 14:22

When I run setup.exe in below conditions, A window "The InstallerShield Engine(ikernel.exe) could not be installed" popup.

1.In user mode account
2.File system is NTFS
3.System has earlier version of "ikernel.exe" in 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel 32' folder

Setup.exe will attempt to copy "ikernel.exe" to the system and the window popup.

If without change to ikernel.exe under "Intel 32" folder in administrator mode, is it possible to quit the installer with myown message before copying "ikernel.exe" ?

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 15:20

I believe that admin rights are required to update the file, that's why the setup is failing. (I think that changed in later versions)

You cannot display a message because your script is not running at that time yet.

Get the evaluation version of DevStudio 9. I think it will solve this problem.

samokok

samokok
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 16:02

As I know IntallShield 7 could solve this problem. Below is the update in IS7,

"Administrator privileges—The setup engine can install itself without administrator privileges on Windows 2000 and Windows XP."

For some reason, I have to use IS6.3 to package the installer, is there any workaround?

Thank you very much.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 17:09

You could create your own launcher exe that would first check the priviliges, and then either display an error message or launch your real setup.

samokok

samokok
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 18:02

OK, I got it. Thank you very much.