This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Basic UI" dialogs and texts

2 replies to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 16:25

Hello,

Where do the texts shown in the "basic UI" dialogs come from?

When I uninstall from Add/Remove programs, the Installer shows basic UI with texts like "Please wait while Windows configures [ProductName]". I cannot find these texts anywhere in the MSI tables. Are they hardcoded into Windows Installer?

Background: I have to set the ProductName dynamically, i.e. at the beginning of both sequences there is a CA that changes the ProductName property. This works fine for installation, including setting the DisplayName in ARP.

For uninstallation, I put a CA at the very beginning of the InstallExecuteSequence which sets the ProductName property from the DisplayName value (ARP registry). When this CA is executed, Windows installer still shows "Preparing to remove...", but the next dialog shows the original Product Name, not the modified one.

Best regards,

Matthias

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 17:32

Download Resource Hacker, a freeware resource editor. Load up MSI.DLL and check the 'Message Table' listing.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 16:07

I see, so they are hard-coded in the dll.

Best regards

Matthias