This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Transforms to support mutiple languages

7 replies to this topic

in_install

in_install
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 16:21

Hi,

My MSI project need to support 20 languages. The exe is used to install the product. The .msi can also be used for the same and it is extracted from exe using /a from command line.

The exe is installing the product according to language selected without problem.

BUT,

When I extract MSI for a specified language(lets take French), all the language specific files for all the 20 languages are extracted instead of one what is selected.

This MSI always install in default lang ENGLISH only instead of French.

I do understand that I need .MST s for the purpose. But unable to to generate that.

I was trying as follows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Samples\SysMgmt\Msi\Scripts>WiGenXfm.vbs
C:\msi\en\Setup.msi C:\msi\fr\Setup.msi C:\msi\fr.mst

I got the following message:

Databases are identical

The way I am supporting all languages is as follows:

1. In Project Properties, add the setup languages
2. Make component for each language under mandatory feature
3. Keep the language specific files like .chm and .lng etc. under this component
4. For each component created for language specific files, go to condition, give the proper condition. E.g.:

SETLANGUAGE="en” [for English]
SETLANGUAGE="da” [for Danish]

“en” and “da” are the values of GLOBAL string available in string table, for English, Danish respectively.
====================================================

Let me know how to create transforms ?? How to install in a specified language using MSI(extracted from exe)??

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:35

InstallShield generates the .mst files for you and packages them into the exe. Extract them and use the one you need (pass TRANSFORMS=... on the msiexec.exe command line)

in_install

in_install
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:51

I am not getting whether the transforms are generated, where to check...what will be the name of mst files...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 15:42

You should see them when you extract the package. They are called 1031.mst etc. (using the decimal language code)

in_install

in_install
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:09

When I extarct Setup.exe/ Setup.msi, I get all the language specific files, but no MSTs. Is there are any setting to enable that.

To extract exe the command line is :

Setup.exe /a

To extract msi the command line is :

msiexec /a Setup.msi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:19

Maybe the MSTs are embedded in the MSI file.
If you create a msulti-language setup then all your language specific files will be included. Which of these are needed is determined at install time. Therefore an administrative install (/a) will extract all your language specific files.
You can however build one package per language, all from the same InstallShield project. Maybe this is what you want?

in_install

in_install
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:31

I dont want to make one package for each language . I want one exe for all language, when msi is extracted from this exe , then transform for all language should be extracted. Now using these transforms u can install product with msi.

turbokitty

turbokitty
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 22:34

Is it not best practise to use a different MSI (with unique product code) for each language? Then set all your MSI's with same upgrade code.

True, no?