This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Detect if there is a cd in cd-rom drive

1 reply to this topic

Gaiana

Gaiana
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:02

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following problem. The application I am creating an installer for requires that some files don't get installed on the hard drive, but are stored on a cd. CD has to be in the cd-rom drive to run the application. There is a registry entry [SETUPEXEDIR]\CD\DATA - to tell the software where the files are on a cd.
If there is no cd in the drive the application won't run, but there is nothing that would prompt the user what the problem is. Is it possible to display a message telling the user to insert a cd if no CD exists in the drive? For various reasons this has to be part of the functionality of the installer rather than software.

I am using Developer 8.

Thanks for the help!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 20:47

The installer is ususally not involved when your application is launched. I'd recommend you launch some exe that will check for the CD and then either launch your main exe or display an error message. If that's not feasible you could try to achive something similar using Windows Installer's auto repair. If the file on the CD is marked as key file of a component (the component will be set to run from source) then I think Windows Installer would prompt for the CD if it's not in the drive. Give it a try.