This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI - Package install as Admin

10 replies to this topic

HKPC

HKPC
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:22

Hi,

does anybody know if its possible that i can modify my msi-package that it can be installed by a non-admin? This user shall only install this msi package.

Regards
Thomas

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 14:29

Basically you need to:
- remove anything that requires admin rights, such as writing to the program Files folder or to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE aprt of the registry
- remove any checks for AdminUser or Privileged
- make sure the ALLUSERS property isn't set

HKPC

HKPC
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 14:34

yes thats possible, but the application which should be installed needs some keys in HKLM. Im searching a way to give these msi the right do reg this keys. Maybe a extra script or some else that make it possible to run this installer.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 14:54

It the MSI is deployed via ActiveDirectory, SMS or other, similar solutions regular users will be able to trigger an install which will then run with admin privileges.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 15:27

Oh, so I misunderstood your question. There are ways to elevate the privileges for the installation, e.g. by assigning it from an administrator via ActiveDirectory. There's some information in the SDK.

HKPC

HKPC
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 14:16

Yes thats excactly what i want to do. ZeroAdmins shall install this package or shall have admin privileges only for this one package.

Edited by HKPC, 09 October 2006 - 14:24.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 15:50

Note that this requires infrastructure in place such as Active Directory, SMS etc... so that the real admin can allow the install of this package. There is no magic way to mark an MSI so that it decides to install with admin rights on its own.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HKPC

HKPC
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 17:39

But i have to ensure that the users are not allowed to install everx msi they want. So its important for me to find such a "magic way".

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 18:10

With ActiveDirectory or SMS users can only install MSI files that have been "approved" by the administrator. In other words: this sounds like exactly what you are looking for?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HKPC

HKPC
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:32

Yes that sounds perfect.

Regards
Thomas

Edited by HKPC, 10 October 2006 - 08:53.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:46

OK, good. You might want to check out "advertised installs" and / or "published installs" in the MSI SDK:
http://msdn.microsof..._start_page.asp

Advertisement:
http://msdn.microsof...vertisement.asp

Regards
-Stein Åsmul