This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Upgrade not working

4 replies to this topic

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 21:40

Hi All,
I am using a Installshield Developer 8.0 and building the install using Basic MSI?

Everything works fine, but my upgrade is not working.

I am trying to follow the steps below for doing a Major upgrade as suggested in one of the posts.

1. Change Package Code in new setup
2. Change Product Code in new setup
3. Change Product Version in new setup
4. Leave Upgrade Code the same
5. Insert an entry in the Upgrade table

But I am not quite sure of point 5. Could anyone explain that to me please.

Thanks,
SCheruku

sjimmerson

sjimmerson
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 00:02

5. If you want your major upgrade to supercede an earlier installed version you need to populate the Upgrade table.

In the Uprade table you will specify the upgrade code of any products you want to update, a range of versions to update, an optional language format, an optional list of features to remove and an action property. The default action is RemoveExistingProducts which reads the upgrade codes in the upgrade table and basically performs a silent, nested uninstall of those products. There is an optional MigrateFeatureStates action that you can use instead of RemoveExistingProducts which basically attempts to migrate the feature-selection states from an installed product version to the newer version. However, MigrateFeatureStates is not very practical if the feature trees are very different in between the installed version and your major upgrade.

If you want the different versions of you products to be installed side-by-side you do not have to populate the upgrade table, but you will need to change the main installation directory. If you are familiar with the Microsoft Office applications you will find that they allow you to do one or the other (with the exception of Outlook). The Office installation is very complex, but it is a good source for examples.

You should be able to find additional assistance in the InstallShield help if you search on any of the keywords mentioned.

sjimmerson

sjimmerson
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 18:51

Please post replies to this forum instead of sending me e-mail directly.

I have not used Developer 8.0 so I don't know if the following will work for you or not.

The next step in configuring a setup to perform a Major Upgrade is to 'Register' any previous version's setup versions that you want to upgrade in the Upgrade view. There are two ways to do this using the Upgrade view in the IDE. The first is to create an Automatic Upgrade Item, and give it the path to the previous version of your setup. The build engine will then analyze the Automatic Ugprade Item, and create all of the settings required to upgrade that setup.

The second way to register your previous version is to create a Major Upgrade Item. A Major Upgrade Item gives you finer control over which previous versions will get upgraded. With a single upgrade item, you can potentially target multiple previous versions.

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 17:22

Thanks sjimmerson. My upgrade is working great.
Thank you very much for your help.

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 18:38

I noticed a problem with the upgrade :
It is putting 2 shortcuts in the Add/Remove programs.
I am upgrading from a version say 1.0.4.3 to 1.0.4.7, but I am doing Major upgrade as we have been adding or removing the modules.

Appreciate any help.