This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

An installation support file could not be installed

2 replies to this topic

deafdog

deafdog
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 14:32

I have replaced my Windows NT box with a Windows 2000 box.

I installed InstallShield 6.3 and for a test, chose to rebuild an installation that I created under Windows NT just to make sure everything was going to work okay under 2000.

The build went fine, but when I try to launch the set up or even debug it, I get a message that says;

An installation support file 'C:\program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\' could not be installed.

The system cannot find the file specified.

I copied all the newly created setup files to a different Windows 2000 box and had the same problem. My original setup created under NT works okay on that box, but my setup created under Windows 2000 does not.  

My installation created under Windows 2000 will not install on my box, another Windows 2000 box, or a Windows NT box.  If I create the installation under NT, it installs everywhere just fine.

I see where there are issues with Windows 2000 and rights.  I am a power user on my box where I create the installation and it won't install.  I copied the files to another Windows 2000 box where I am administrator and it still won't install.

I saw some stuff on the Microspft page about InstallShield and DCOM and followed those instructions and still no luck with the install on any box I try.

I read on the IS forum about similar situations but not exactly ike mine and tried all the stuff suggested there -like  removing the TEMP directory and all that.

So far,  this installation I created under Windows 2000 will not install on any system I try - even if I am logged in as administrator on the target box.

In other words, this problem is following these new installation files around and is not local to my box or the way I am logged in.  

Is there maybe something I have to set up in InstallShield when I create an installation under Windows 2000 that I did not have do do under Windows NT?

Thanks!

deafdog

deafdog
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 14:58

I rebuilt the installation after logging into my Windows 2000 box as administrator and the install now works.  

I normally log in to my Windows 2000 box as a user in the administrators group.

I logged back into my Windows 2000 box as myself and the installation I built logged in as administrator still works okay.

When I was using NT, I logged in to NT as a user with administrator rights and did not have this problem.

So, I guess that there is some difference to InstallShield between an Adminstrator and a user with administrator rights when using Windows 2000, but not with NT.

I am curious to know just what that is if anybody knows.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 23:28

I'm on a domain here, but my user account with Admin. privileges works just fine in terms of both creating & running IS 6.31 setups.  These same setups in turn run without incident on NT, W2K, and XP.

I actually have seen that message once and was able to fix it, but I think that was due to the dumb Symantec bug from awhile back.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/false.positive.on.ikernel.exe.from.installshield.html