This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help with handling Large files

1 reply to this topic

jstatham

jstatham
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 19:42

Ok here is my situation. I have an basic msi install that has to lay down 2 database files that are close to 2 gigs each. I need to create a single compressed exe so the install will fit on a cd or dvd. When I build the install compressed it will fit but it take almost an hour to run the install. 30 minutes to uncompress then 30 to run. If I leave uncompressed it take roughly 20-30 minutes. So I am assuming in compressed mode the install is temporalily writing the giant files to the drive then copying them to the destination dir. Is there another way to speed up this install or stop the double copy from happening? I thought of zipping the databases and leaving them on the cd then calling a custom action from my setup that will unzip and extract the files to the correct location. Do you have an opinions or suggestions on how I should handle this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 16:13

Instead of "Network use the "CD-ROM" media type, with compression turned on. This will give you a setup.exe and next to it the .msi file and a CAB file with your compressed application and database files.
In "network" the cabs are additionally stuffed into the msi file.