This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repair - How to reuse install context

7 replies to this topic

frtr

frtr
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 20:45

Hi!

I have a little problem with the installer.

When I install the software, the user needs some information that is absolutely needed by the installer.

When I install, I use the context parameters to access them.

But the problem occurs when the repair mode is triggered. At this moment, the UI doesn't popup and the install starts automatically...

Is there a way to reused the saved the context parameters or to make the needed dialogs be shown again?

I'm using Visual Studio .net only.

I thank you very much!

François Tremblay

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:56

You can write those values to registry and read them during startup, using AppSearch & RegLocator tables. (Not sure if you can do this inside VS)

frtr

frtr
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 14:34

Is there any way to force a complete re-install thus removing the repair option?

Maybe changing a property in the MSI file ?

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 19:23

Repair is a re-install on top of the existing install. Do you want a complete uninstall followed by a fresh install?

frtr

frtr
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 00:56

Yes!

The best way my installer could behave is by completely removing the repair mode. This way, the user would be forced to uninstall then reinstall the software.

Is there a little trick we can do in the MSI to do so?

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:48

I wouldn't recommend this, because an auto-repair might happen, resulting in removal of your application.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:40

[DELETED DOUBLE POST]

Edited by Glytzhkof, 05 October 2004 - 08:42.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:41

You can minimize the risk of self repair kicking in by enabling the DISABLEADVERTISEDSHORTCUTS property. However, this isn't recommended either (self repair may still occur if com servers are missing etc...).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul