This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

permission after reboot

5 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 18:51

so here's the scenario:

an admin upgrades software on a machine. during upgrade a file that is locked needs to be replaced and re-registered so a reboot is required at the end of install.

but.. the admin leaves and the regular user logs on (who only has user access).

when that user logs on does Windows Installer tries to complete the install but can not since the user does not have admin privledges to replace or register files. what happens?

is there a way around this? or should one just flash up a dialog before rebooting that requests that the admin log back in to complete the install?
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:54

Im not sure this is handled, but you would usually expect that the user who was running the install, rebooted and logged back if the installer requested this.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:12

The files are replaced DURING the reboot, not after. When Windows offers someone to log on, the installation is finished and all is well.

Note that this question is valid in other scenarios, eg. when the sequence demands an immediate reboot before continuing. (For instance, MDAC was installed, but a reboot is required before Setup can access some databases...)
One would think that the installation would only continue when the original user logged on again - other users may have insufficient priviliges. Suppose any user would do: what if the software is installed with ALLUSERS empty (install for this user only)?!
I can think of more tricky issues (eg. what if account of original user is deleted?), better hope for the best.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 23:22

ok, now i can see where you issue is coming from. thats a tricky one.
Unless there is a direct solution, i would probably suggest adding some text to your finish dialog, telling the current user that they must login after they reboot with the same user.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 17:23

yes, that's what i'm going with. i've added a line to the reboot dialog requesting that the admin log in again to complete the installation.

i'm still trying to determin if what Zweitze is happening. if that's the case then why are we getting a runtime error. its hard to determine whether or not the DLL is replace during shutdown and startup of a reboot.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 20:30

Technically the files will be replaced during booting (so... after restart). The files are registered for replacement, the registration depends on the OS:
On Windows 95, 98 and Me the files that should be replaced are listed in Win.ini (or System.ini, I forgot).
On Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 the files are listed in the registry, I believe in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\...

On Windows 9x/Me, note that the files will be replaced *before* the long file name drivers are active, therefore this may fail on long file names - another reason to stick to short file names for the time being.
On Windows NT based systems, the files will not be replaced when you boot with 'last known good configuration'.

Also remember, certain system files cannot be replaced - but they are part of the OS kernel. From Windows 2000 on, trying to do so will report an error.

I suggest to check whether the files are listed for replacement (by checking ini-files/registry), and creating a log (maybe some condition prevented installation of that component).