This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Stopping users from accessing the executables w

3 replies to this topic

kizhakk

kizhakk
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 14:41

HI,
I am trying to update some executables on a network share.The problem
is other users who aren't aware of the update process try to execute these
processes on their client machine and get an error.This locks up the file and
ultimately fails the update process on the server machine.
Is there a way to lock these files so that no user can access these files.
I try to rename these files but windows renames the shared shortcut with these
renamed files.
I would appreciate any feedback on how to stop these users from accessing these files when the server is getting updated.
Thanks in advance,
Kizhakk

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 23:25

I find that the least problematic way to approach problems like this is to enforce an upgrade schedule. This is not always possible, but say you automatically force-restart all PC's on Friday night after 22.00, and then do the upgrade. This could cause problems if people lose any work, but in the long term it is the only way to ensure the application is regularly updated.

Another option would be to make the application smarter so it automatically shuts down after a certain amount of user inactivity.

Also, I am honestly not sure if this would make a difference, but can you set the share and the file read-only as a first test? I still think there will be a user lock on the file, even if it is only read-only.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

kizhakk

kizhakk
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 00:51

This is not an auto update.
We send the updates on a CD occasionally, so there is no point in restarting the pcs on a schedule.
I was thinking of making the exe's deny all the rights to execute temporarily .But I don't know how to do that in installshield.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 00:45

I don't quite understand how this works. You send a CD, the CD is to be used to update files on a server share? This locks the files when launched locally?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul