This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation hangs at the end of install

3 replies to this topic

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:42

Hi All,
Is it possible for someone to please enlighten me with what InstallShield does at the end of an installation ?

I have this problem where the installation of my product (using InstallShield Professional 6.2) seems complete, but InstallShield hangs. Setup.exe and ikernel.exe are still seen in the processes list, and INSTALLDIR and SUPPORTDIR still exist with all the files. setup.ilg is not yet created, and if I kill the process, setup.ilg does not exist, and I am not able to uninstall my product.

I would highly appreciate if anyone could tell me what InstallShield does at the end of an install (after my installation scripts have been executed). I suspect that the hanging might be due to some privileges not present. The problem occurs when I am installing as a domain admin. If I log in as the built-in local admin, I do not experience this problem. InstallShield exits smoothly as expected.

To further complicate issues, this problem does not happen on all machines. It happens only on some. One machine that I am experiencing it on right now is Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.

Please let me know what the reason is for InstallShield hanging. What is it trying to do that its not able to? Can anything be done to avoid this problem ?
Is there anything logged anywhere that can be useful to see what is happening?

I need to install using the domain admin account. Please help.

Many Thanks,
Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 15:49

It could be a domain policy that's impeeding your install then, but have you tried doing a remote debug of the installation? 'cause that's where I would start. See the help for more information.
user posted image

vishwa

vishwa
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 21:24

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I however did not understand what you meant by a remote debug of the installation.

I tried running setup.exe with /verbose parameter. But since the installation hangs, it does not print out anything.

Please elaborate since I did not get what you mean.

The last line of OnEnd() function has been executed, and I do not know of any way to debug what InstallShield does after that.

Thanks again,
Vishwa

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:24

Well the InstallShield Professional help file has a copy of the "Q104379 - INFO: Debugging a Setup on a Test Machine" Knowledge Base article, but the one online is more up to date.
user posted image