This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

passing lists to DLLs

2 replies to this topic

steve42

steve42
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 16:17

I posted this in the Developer 7 newsgroup, but didn't get any responses, so I'm hoping someone here knows.

In Installshield 5, you could pass lists to external DLLs as described in Knowledge Base article Q102820 (http://support.insta...ticleid=Q102820). Does this still work in some way in Installshield 7?  I can't seem to get it to -- when I pass a string list from InstallScripts to a C++ DLL and try to read it, all I get is gibberish.  The code I have works fine in Installshield 5.5 Pro.  Does anybody know how to get this working?  Yeah, I guess I could encode the list as a string and pass that, or write the list to a file and pass that, but I'd like a more sane solution if possible.

Thanks,
Steve

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 11:35

The internal format of LISTs was never documented, right? I guess it has changed in IS6 and ISD7. So I don't know whether this is possible at all, or how.
If you're trying to find out, remember that strings are in unicode format internally in IS6 and above.

steve42

steve42
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 21:13

The internal format was never documented only if you don't count a knowledge base article as documentation.  And I couldn't get number lists to work either, so I'm pretty sure my problem isn't unicode related.

It ended up being too much trouble to try to figure out the internal structure without the use of a debugger (since I don't have the Installshield symbols), so I just ended up making functions to convert a string list into a single string and back again, and then passing that single string to the DLL.

Thanks though,
Steve