This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Ways of downgrading

1 reply to this topic

igorl

igorl
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:17

In my product I need support functionallity of downgrading. For example, after release of the version 2.0.5 and version 2.1.0 and after installing 2.1.0 user can install 2.0.5 and it installs correctly. But how to implement this without bootstrapping, using only MSI functionality?
If I use major upgrade and RemoveExistingProducts it leave newer versions of the files (for assemblies - due to version check, for other - modify date) - if RemoveExistingProducts after InstallFinalize or little earlier. If RemoveExistingProducts is before InstallInitialize, it removes files entirely - because it uninstall them, but then not install, it was newer versions of them...
Only way is to remove right after FindRelatedProducts but then we lost Rollback functionality (if we cancel downgrade process - newer product will not remain).

Of course there is way - minor upgrade and REINSTALL, but it also has some limitations, or no?
Can anyone help me to find better way?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 16:08

I think you already know the options. Downgrading is typically unwanted and therefore not ideally supported by Windows Installer.