This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installer crash when initializing the installation

5 replies to this topic

SteveDu

SteveDu
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 04:29

Microsoft Windows 2000 Retail (either English Edition or Chinese Edition) crashes when initializing the installation, the system report "_INSxxxx._MP.exe has occurred an error, the applicaiton will be close.".
But some machines doesn't have this problem.

Torgui

Torgui
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 08:07

InstallShield does't quarantee that IS 5.x created installations work under Win 2000. See support document Q105007.

Debugging _INSxxxx._MP crashes is reeeeally difficult specially when InstallShield Software doesn't offer any support for Win2000 targetted 5.x installations! Their only response to us was:
"Get IS 6.0 or ISWI."

You could try to figure out in which state of the initialization process the crash occurs. Is it before displaying Setup splash and the progress bar? Have the SUPPORT files been extracted? Does the ISUNINST.EXE to Windows directory succeed?

Does the error occur with all accounts (ie. admin vs. non-admin, you know that in Win2000 you always have to have local admin rights to start IS 5.x installations)?

If you can figure out what is the problem, please share the information with the rest of us struggling with the Win2000 installation problems...

SteveDu

SteveDu
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 10:13

Well, thanks for your supporting.
That's true, I've check the support on the InstallShield web site, and everything I tried doesn't works at all.
The crach occurred when displaying splash and the progress bar fill full (100%). I've checked, the SUPPORT files have been extracted correctlly and the ISUNINST.exe works fine. This error occurred in all the accounts.
But some Windows 2000 doesn't have such a problem, it always works fine with Windows 2000, even Guest account can access too!

Well, it's a strange question.

(Edited by SteveDu at 10:16 am on April 23, 2001)

Torgui

Torgui
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 04:36

We have experienced few cases when the IS initialization progress bar goes way up to 100% and then the installation process just dies - no crash, no errors, the process just vanishes.

We discovered that the problem was the invalid TEMP directory definition - it contained some extended characters (8-bit, like äöå) and InstallShield was not able to handle that!

I suggest that you chech the TEMP definition on the problem machines.

BTW are you using IS 5.1 or 5.5? And if 5.5 are you using 16 or 32-bit Setup.exe?

SteveDu

SteveDu
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 16:03

Thanks for your reply!!!
This make me know more, so let me try to make my friend's Windows 2000 TEMP directory to a '8.3' standard directory, I think this will help my friend.
My Windows2000's TEMP directory is "F:\", so I never has such a problem before, I think this must be the key of the problem.

Either IS 5.1 or 5.5, 16 or 32-bit setup all causes this problem.

Whatever, THANK'S FOR YOUR HELP.