This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI script for existing 3rd party software

1 reply to this topic

loginov

loginov
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 20:36

Gentlemen, I need your help. I had been tasked to create an MSI script for existing old-technology made installation. This distibutive was not made in out company so I have no access to original InstallShild project. Does any one know a tool that can take an exising setup application and write an MSI script same as it. Does any one can help me with some idea of mhow to do it with minimal time looses.

Best regards,
Iliya.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 13:02

i believe yor choices will be to re-package the application using something such as WinINSTALL, InstallShield, Wise, Prism, etc.  or create a .ZAP file that wraps the existing .EXE.

MS recommends the use of ZAP files for legacy apps due to the involved nature of cleaning up the captured installation...

in our shop we have typically re-packaged legacy apps.  we do however spend a lot of time verifying their functionality after...

good luck with the conversion....