This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is this possible?

5 replies to this topic

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:17

Hi,

I just want to know if this is possible:

I need to "install" some files in a directory (using a "special" MSI file) using this command line:

msiexec /I "mySpecial.msi" INSTALLDIR="myDirectory"

This MSI file should install the files in that directory and nothing else (e.g. no user interface). Nothing should appear in the Add/Remove programs and no "trace" should remain in the system that this MSI file was "installed" on this computer (e.g. MsiEnumProducts API should not find it).

What should I do to get this "feature"? What else should I do (except of not showing it into Add/Remove programs and in MsiEnumProducts)?

In other words I need to create an MSI file that can be installed any time and each time I "install" it I will get option "yes new installation, this product was never ever installed on this computer".

Thanks for your help.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:28

This is indeed possible, but it sounds to me like you might want to use a non-MSI installer to achieve this since this would be simpler and you don't really need any MSI features to achieve this - on the contrary MSI will complicate this process.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:37

Just to add to the above: I am not sure if MsiEnumProducts would still detect MSI files that have the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property set (setting this property will hide the MSI From add / remove programs).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:39

Why would someone need such a feature? If i choose a different install directory each time, then the same set of files will get copied multiple times on the system. Is'nt that a disadvantage?

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 17:11

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes it may be a disadvantage but this is exactly what I want: the tool should pack somehow the files in a "database" (my MSI file) and each time I need I can "install" them in which directory I need (INSTALLDIR).

Back to the question: so if this is possible how do I make my MSI file ("product") to be invisible to "anything" in the system:
- no Add/Remove Programs (ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT may be the key)
- no MsiEnumProduct or similar should "see" it (I need to try it)
- when I "install" this twice on the same computer it should get all the time "yes new installation, this MSI "product" was never ever installed on this computer"

Thanks for your help

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 17:46

I know I shouldn't be answering this since you are probably preparing a terrible mess for yourself by implementing this as an MSI. It really should be done via a non-MSI setup. Still, the following hacks could potentially make this work for you with MSI:

* try to blank out the product code (not even sure if it will let you)
* set ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT to 1

I believe another way to do this (without blanking out the product GUID), is to remove the "RegisterProduct" standard action from the install sequence.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul