This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

GPO Upgrades?

2 replies to this topic

PeterBoucher

PeterBoucher
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 00:26

If there's no easy way to upgrade via GPO, is there an easy way to detect and abort when they try to upgrade via GPO?

We had a customer push out an early version of out product (applied to computers via GPO), and then, even though our instructions say to remove the earlier versions first before pushing out the new version, they just went ahead and pushed out the new version on to of the earlier version.

The results were unexpected. The app was not installed properly, and "Add/Remove Programs" had two entries for the app (one had no icon).

Anyway, my management asked me to find out if I can get it to upgrade properly, or at least abort and leave the earlier version in place unbroken.

Any help?

PeterBoucher

PeterBoucher
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 22:13

Does nobody else have this problem, or is the solution too easy for anyone to figure it's worth answering me, or what?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 21:06

Well it's a weird scenario anyway.
If I recall correctly, when you define the GPO you can also state which software packages should be uninstalled before installing the intended package. So the admin could do that.
But if you want to fail the install: actually failing any install during GPO deployment is awkward. Assuming you have a user GPO for assigning, when this user logs on the domain controller (!) runs the advertising sequence, the system changes are pushed to the system of the user. So the user gets all shortcuts, ProgIDs etc. When activated, some kind of repair kicks in. There is no way to prevent the advertising (eg. because you don't support certain OSes or Service Packs), because the only thing is executed by the DC.
All you can do is tell the user, that using GPO deployment they have to be sure that the target system qualifies.

My conclusion was that GPO deployment is not guaranteed to work in all circumstances. But, since this deployment involves domain admins who should know a thing or two about GPO deployment, this was never a problem.