This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"Delay msi engine reboot" never reboots

10 replies to this topic

tomppa

tomppa
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:13

Hi,

I use ISX 3.54 with MSI 2.0 and when the selection "Delay msi engine reboot" is set to true, the reboot dialog never appears!  :(

This causes fatal error when e.g. W2K machine has an old MSI engine and the reboot is not completed --> the shortcuts for MS Office and my application stop working until user is clever enough to reboot.  (Sometimes users really dont reboot and spend a lot of time investigating this. )

This reboot dialog not appearing was tested with W2000 and W98, two different projects, one of them I created from scratch.

Any ideas to fix,   except  have custom action that reboots always?   Would it be better to keep using old MSI 1.2(?) or even older 1.1. to avoid reboot requirement of MSI upgrade?

Or how to make own custom action that reboots if MSI was updated?

Tomppa

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:05

Is this a project that was upgraded from an earlier version of express 3.x? There was a similar problem in Developer. See kb.installshield.com the workaround may also work for Express

tomppa

tomppa
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 12:38

One of the projects is upgrade yes,

but I then made second dummy "test project" from scratch that had same problem, too.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 12:50

Add a ScheduleReboot to your execute sequence (in Developer it's near then end, before InstallFinalize, but I don't think this matters) and give it a condition of
ISSCHEDULEREBOOT
See if that helps.

tomppa

tomppa
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 13:11

Tnx for tip, do you mean that Orca must be used to add this kind of conditions?

ISX does not seem to have any conditions itself for custom actions..

ps. installshield web site seem to be down..

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 14:18

I don't have Express installed right now... If you can't add that condition in Express, then either use without condition (causing unnecessary reboots) or use Orca.

Yes, the InstallShield web site is down at the moment. I believe they're woking to bring it back up (note that it's rather early in the morning in Schaumburg, IL)

tomppa

tomppa
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 14:54

I cannot reboot always,  so I have to use ORCA:

Adjusted these issues:

Error 1702
IMPORTANT: The installer must restart your computer to finish the upgrade of your Microsoft Installer Service.  Click Yes to restart now. If you choose No, some of the shortcuts might not work.

InstallExecuteSequence table:
ScheduleReboot  ISSCHEDULEREBOOT   Seq. 3149

Now I have a big problem, too:  
how can I  put the modified .MSI  file inside the  installshield SETUP.EXE  ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 15:14

Build a regular release (not a single setup.exe), adjust the msi file (you could even write a VBScript to automate this), then package the disk image into a single exe using PackageForTheWeb (free from InstallShield)

tomppa

tomppa
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 15:39

sorry but PFT is not a good enough solution,  in that case e.g. the MSI would not be updated dynamically through HTTP as SETUP.EXE does quite nicely.

Instead, I am trying to reverse engineer the construction of setup.exe, it seems that it has 3 files just one ofter one:

setup.exe  <-- sceleton from isx\redist folder
*.MSI  file  <-- in the middle
setup.ini   <-- in the EOF

i tried   copy /b setup.exe+ /B "myfile.msi"+Setup.ini x.exe   but it seem not to be enough.

ideas?  someone here must have done this kind of basic tweaking ;-)

tomppa

tomppa
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 09:05

Just got an alternative solution idea:

Perhaps I can write a separate DLL  (custom action) that
reboots the machine  if this ISSCHEDULEREBOOT  
flag is active?

How can I check from my DLL  if this ISSCHEDULEREBOOT  
is flagged?   Is it in registry somewhere?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 09:20

MsiGetProperty