This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Replacing Unversioned Access Info Databases

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 20:30

I understand the basic rules of file placement during an install, but have a general question.  Does anyone know how to version an Access 97 database?

What happens is end users, by entering these databases (catalogs used by our software) via Access (not our software) change the Modified dates.  This sometimes causes problems if this is done after a newer 'version' of this file is created.  Sometimes, the correct/updated files are not placed due to a lack of version number and the fact that the modified date is later than what is contained on the installation CD.

What I would like to do, if possible, is version my databases and increase the version number with each iteration of our software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 21:42

You must be aware that you would override user data in that case (i.e. wipe out his modified database). You might be able to do this using companion files (i.e. create a DLL as "external version resource")

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 21:52

For the files I want to version, there is no user modification.  They are reference files.

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 00:02

The product I work on has a build version table in the reference database.  When a change is to be applied to the reference database, we check the version before installing the update.

We're using SQL server, so it's not too difficult to write a custom action using SQL-DMO to check the version, the set some properties if we are need to apply the update.  I assume that you could do something similar with the Access databases.