This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

change "MSDE 2000 Object for NT" properties at run

2 replies to this topic

Vlad

Vlad
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:46

Hi All!
Probably someone has already investigated the problem I have with the "InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platdforms" in a Basic MSI project(InstallShield X). I'd like users to be able to set SQL program and data directories at run time.
Does anybody know is it possible?

I've tried to use CA of type 51 for setting properties SqlProgramDir and SqlDataDir in a way described by Stefan Krueger in "Customizing MSDE 2000 Installation" document. But it looks like this technique doesn't work with "InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platdforms". In a debug mode it's seen that MSDE installation is started in the UI sequence. I've put my CA's rigth before MSDE custom action which launches MSDE installer.
So, I think either it is not possible to change "MSDE...for NT" properties during the installation or those properties names differ from ones described in Stefan's document. Or something else...

Also it seems that during a build time InstallShield X creates a nested installation CA for MSDE 2000. Then probably there' s a way to get handle for MSDE installation and thus access its properties...

Please, share your ideas.
Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 18:01

These properties have to be set for the MSDE install, which is launched as a sub install custom action.

Vlad

Vlad
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:28

Thank you Stefan for answer.
I solved this problem in the following way:
I created executable CA which launches msiexec.exe with MSDE setup
file to which SQL data and program directories are passed as command
line argumets.