This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge Modules and sequence timing

4 replies to this topic

randrus

randrus
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 15:47

At what point in the install\uninstall sequence are the items placed in the ModuleInstallSequence and ModuleExecuteSequence tables of an included merge module executed.  Does anyone know a reference that explains how merge modules fit into installshield developers run-time architecture (as far as timing with other events is concerned)?

Thanks.
Ryan Andrus
Software Engineer
Scalable Software

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:47

I think when you add in the MM it adds all of its tables, and then when you build, all of these tables are merged into your main project.

Does that answer your question?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:22

In the module sequences you specify a base sequence. During the merge process your actions will be inserted in the main setup at these locations (before or after the base sequence you specified)

randrus

randrus
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 15:49

Thanks Mr. Krueger,

One thing I still don't understand though is how can you be sure that Custom Actions in your merge module will take place after standard install actions?  Is there a convention for sequence numbers for standard install actions.  I want to make sure that one of my merge module custom actions gets executed after the files for my merge module have been copied to their destination, how would I do this?

Thanks in advance for your advice Mr. Krueger.

Ryan.
Ryan Andrus
Software Engineer
Scalable Software

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 19:38

The standard action you use in your merge module to base your custom action will get the sequence number that this standard action has in the main package. There are some conventions for sequence numbers, but variants are possible, so you cannot rely on the sequence numbers.
To call your custom action after the files have been installed, base it on the InstallFiles action. The entries in your ModuleInstallExecuteSequence should look like this:
Code Sample

Action           | Sequence | BaseAction   | After  | Condition
InstallFiles     | 4000     | (NULL)       | (NULL) | (NULL)
YourCustomAction | (NULL)   | InstallFiles | 1      | Not Installed

Note: don't enter (NULL), and adjust the conditions as appropriate