This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Remote installation on startup

3 replies to this topic

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 15:02

I have made a basic MSI project that works ok when built as an .msi file, or as a setup.exe, and also works when run silently as well as with full UI. But I want to be able to set it up so that installs remotely as soon as a cleint PC is started up. We are trying to do this with Remote Installation Services, adn everytime it fails and the Event log says that there was a fatal error when trying to run my instalation.

I realsie this is a very sketchy description, but its mainly the Sysadmin person helping me here who knows more about RIS. Do you have any suggestions about things to try, or issues to look at, so we can get more error information at least?

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:22

We've done some more experimentation, by creating very simple MSI projects that only contain 1 text file, or only make a few registry entries, or use a bit of InstallScript. From which I have found that the only one of the simpler installations to get the same error is the one that uses script to create registry entires, althoguh the entries are in the same locatioinas some others that are created ok without using script in another installation. Therefore I infer that it is the use of InstallScript that is causing problems for my attempts to install by this method.

Can anyone explain to me how it is possible to create a Baisc MSI project that uses InstallScript and will run silently under a Group Policy installation system when a target machine is logged-on-to by a user?

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:16

I've now discovered the Knowledge Base article Q108166.

I am working with Developer 7. There is no "OnCheckSilentInstll" action in the InstallationExecute sequence, so the only change I made was to add a property IISETUPDRIVEN = 1, built an msi file just to test out the basic concept, on machines that already have the script engine installed. This gave a fatal error as before.

Do I *have* to use a Transform as part of the installation process? If so, how can I create one using Developer 7?

jonathan2002

jonathan2002
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 14:32

I've found how to make a transform, although it is rather irrelevant since the file doesn't work when I build it with the needed properties set anyway.