This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"you should not see me" window

1 reply to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 22:47

i write the installations for my company and recently the newest version of our installation is producing a funny window.

when a user runs an upgrade from a previous version and the upgrade requires a reboot a window appears after the "finish"/"reboot" button is clicked. the window is titled "you should not see me".

i've done a search on this phrase in Google and some other groups have come across this window as well and have seemed to have narrowed it down to a Windows Installer window.

has anyone seen this before? and how do you get rid of it?
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 15:53

i figured this out... i'm suprised no one else has come across this problem.

i talked with Microsoft on this one and found out the situation.

the "you should not see me" window is a windows app that assists in closing down programs during shutdown. if there is a process that has difficulty shutting down this window may pop up as windows tries to close it. i have noticed this happening only on win2k sp4 or XP machines.

i ran across this because i was using PackageForTheWeb to compress my install for downloading. when the user ran the PFTW self extracting executable it created a PTFW shell that persisted during the install. then... when the install calls for a reboot the shell had difficulty shutting down so the user may see the "you should not see me" window.

i solved this by not using PFTW.
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng