This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

comcat.dll installaton problem

3 replies to this topic

Franky

Franky
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 10:59

on Win2k Laptop computers (most errors occure here), comcat.dll registration sometimes returns error -119,
or it can not be located after installation (seems that the registry error is not displayed, but the dll is nevertheless not registered)
I'm installing version 4.71.1460.1 (redistributable file from VS6)

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 13:01

Hi,

comcat.dll is a self-registering DLL. Do you use the self-register mechanism (see 'File Groups' pane)?

It cannot be a problem with dependencies since comcat.dll just depends on ole32.dll, kernel32.dll, user32.dll, advapi32.dll which are libs of the operating system. - What does the 'shared counter' (registry) report for this DLL?

Eberhard

Franky

Franky
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 13:08

Thank you for the first.

Microsoft's support website describes many problems related to comcat.

their solution is always kind of "rename existing file and install again".
the problem is, that Version 5.x has no DLL entry point for "DLLRegisterServer", and normally, I don't overwrite newer files on the system....

EberhardH

EberhardH
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 06:31

Hi,

I don't quite understand which way you are registering the comcat.dll. Either you set the "self-regging" attribute in the FileGroup's pane to let IS 5 do it - or you copy it without setting this attribute as a regular file into WINSYSDIR (yes, check if it's newer than an existing file) and call within your script via LaunchAppAndWait(...)
     regsvr32.exe comcat.dll
to have the DLL registered. I'd prefer to disable logging with the latter method. The regsvr32.exe is part of WINSYSDIR.

Another note to the first method: You know that you have to set the "shared" attribute with files using the self-registration method of IS, don't you?

Eberhard