This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Why does installdir default to include Comany Name

2 replies to this topic

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 15:57

I originally assumed that this was a Windows Logo standard, but I do not see it in the "Designed for Windows XP for Applications" document, I have also noticed that Microsoft does not install under c:\program files\Microsoft\<Product>

Is there a reason that using the Company Name in the path would be desireable?

Thanks,
Mike

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 16:30

I think this was more common in the past. Today most setups don't use a company name sub folder but prepend the product name with the company name instead, like:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
instead of the old style
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 16:55

Thanks Stefan.

I also noticed that, while there is not a requirement to use %ProgramFiles%\<company name>\<App Name> it is almost implied in other requirements. For example, Microsoft makes references to the effect that you should look for the application in %ProgramFiles%\<company name>\<App Name>. Also there is a requirement that side-by-side components be installed in %ProgramFiles%\<company name>\<App Name> (http://msdn.microsof...ve_chapter2.asp). But I have not found any requirement that this be done for the application itself.