This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

INSTALLDIR defined by Registry value.

5 replies to this topic

macmm

macmm
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 06:34

Now I'm using InstallShield Developer 8 SP1.

I want to set INSTALLDIR value from Registry value directly by using System Search. Isn't it impossible thing?
(I know that, it is possible to read by using RegDBGetItem() (or something) and set this value to INSTALLDIR by using MSI's function in the script.)

Is there someone knows how to do?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 16:06

Should be no problem using System Search. Can you describe your steps and selections in System Search, and where it fails?

macmm

macmm
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 03:04

Hello,

I added the "System Search" following the "System Search Wizard". I chose "Registry entry, that contains a folder." and set the Registry Key and Value in this wizard. At the final step of this wizard, I chose the "INSTALLDIR" to store the value and mark "Store the value in the property and ..." in the "Additional Options" section.

At the run time, the empty information dialog appears before the "Install Welcome" and I click the "OK" button of this dialog, the installer terminates.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:02

Which empty information dialog?

Please generate a log file to see the error message/number why it fails. It will also show the value of INSTALLDIR.

Does the registry entry have a trailing backslash? (it should have to be a valid path - Windows Installer is picky)

Maybe you can post your registry entry here (export it from regedit and paste the relevant lines of the .reg file). And please describe exactly what you entered in the edit fields of the SystemSearch Wizard to define the registry entry.

macmm

macmm
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:49

Thank you for reply. And I apologize for my lack of information.

Empty information dialog means information dialog which doesn't contain any message. The title of this dialog is "<Product name> information" , so I expressed this dialog "Empty information dialog".
I tried to install with logging (Using command line option "/L* <logfile name>" )and I saw it. In the log file, there is no entry about "INSTALLDIR" and error information is mentioned only one sentence at the last line which started with "MSI © (E8:CC):".
The target registry value (Replisents a directory path) contains back-slash because my environment and target location is "Japanese". The target Registry key is the following.
TargetRegKey : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\***\XXX
TargetRegValue : Path
  ="***" is Company name, and "XXX" is Product name.=
My Setting is the following.
Registry Root : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Registry Key : SOFTWARE\***\XXX
Registry Value : Path

I have tampered many other settings (ex. "Direct Editor" or "Property Manager" and so on...) to solve this problem. So, If this error occur from another reason (Doesn't mentioned in this thread) , I will make new project of this installer and try again.

macmm

macmm
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 03:28

I tried making a new project of this product. The "System Search" works correctly at this time. I think there are no problem. I'm sorry and Thanks for your help. The reason why it didn't work correctly remains shrouded in mystery. It might be occured from the aggregation of diverse reasons.