This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Not able to overwrite files...

7 replies to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:23

Hi ,

During maintenence when the user selects the "Modify" operation to modify the exisiting installation i have exposed few features which the user can modify once he has installed, here i want some files to be overwritten and i have set the file properties to "Always overwrite" but this seems to be not working at all, the files are never overwritten , the installer copies the files only if i modify the filename of already installed files, i want the installer to overwrite always when modify is done...How to accomplish. Please help me in this regard

Thank you
Balaji

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:03

Hi ,

Can anyone please provide a solution for this...Its a very urgent requirement for my project...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 20:16

You would need to perform a reinstall of those features, maybe using the Reinstall control event.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:17

Hi Stefan ,

Thanks for your reply, i tried using Reinstall event on a push button specifying the required feature to be reinstalled when modify operation is performed , but it doesnt seems to be working. The features are not getting overwritten. I have to overwrite the exe file and dll's... and i have a separate component for this and files properties are specified to be "Always overwrite" but its not working. Any idea how what might be wrong. kindly suggest.

Regards,
Balaji

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 14:27

Did you generate a log of the install?
But maybe the best way would be to delete those files that you want to revert to their original state.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 16:26

Thanks for your reply .

Before i attempt ur suggestion , i would like to give some more information on my problem. If for example , a particular file is associated with two different features ofcourse associated with two different components, and during install i install feature 1 by default and during maintenence i want the feature 2 to upgrade or when i use modify option i want to use the feature 2 to be exposed to the user(which has the same files as feature1) to select ...Now is this possible?...Can i feature 2 to overwrite feature 1 ?... becoz both features are tied to the same files...This is how my proj is designed, or is the design wrong? please suggest.

Thanks
Balaji

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:25

a particular file is associated with two different features ofcourse associated with two different components
That's not good design. If you need to have one file in two components, then create one component and associate that component with both features.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:22

Thanks stefan.

I will follow your suggestion and try whether i can overwrite files using modify and update you the result.

Regards.
Balaji