This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrades & RemoveRegistry

2 replies to this topic

RaymondHallReid

RaymondHallReid
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 17:27

Hi,

I am currently writing a basic MSI project using Installshield 10.5. I have a problem in that one of my components is a .Net component registered for COM. This has the .NET COM Interop flag set to Yes. This component doesn't unregister itself when a minor upgrade is applied. Result is we have old registry entries left behind. I know that this is standard functionality, but as I am trying to automate the whole build process I would like a method of taking previous .reg files and populate the removeregistry table.

I have spoken to Installshield, but they said that the only way to get around this would be to do a major install everytime which is not a solution for me.

Am I going about this the wrong way, or is there something obvious I am missing.

Regards Raymond Hall-Reid

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 18:48

I think the basic problem is: if the COM related registry entries of your file change, it is no longer backward compatible to the previous version (or?). This means you should change the component GUID.Which is not possible in a minor update.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 18:49

Can you compile your file with "binary compatibility" to keep the registry information unchanged?