This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

To be Uninstall or not to be Uninstall

3 replies to this topic

dainstall

dainstall
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 22:39

I'm running into one of most nagging problems I've ever encountered.

The install seems to install everything just fine without a hitch.  I double checked all the files, registry keys, uninstallation information, etc., but when I try to remove it using Add/Remove program, it does nothing.  I mean absolutely nothing.

I did  quite a few of installations for different projects and never have I ran into this problem before.  I've gone through the code and everything and still no luck.  The only thing I can think of is I did an update from version 6.22 to 6.31 couple weeks ago.  Since this project is quite big, I'm not sure if I want to start all over again.  

I need help big time.  Please help!!!!

Thanx.

dainstall

dainstall
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 22:44

To clarify my point "absolutely nothing".  I launched the Add/Remove program and then selected Remove All option.  It went through the process really quick, but the option is still there in the Add/Remove program.  All the files, registry keys, uninstall information, everything still there (!?!;).  

Any help on this urgent issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:24

Okay, for starters are you using the default OnMaintUIBefore and OnMaintUIAfter functions?  'cause these event handlers are what drive the uninstall behavior.

If you have these guys explicilty defined in your setup script, try taking both of them out and using the automaticlly pre-defined ones.

If that solves the problem, then your functions were missing some of the necessary code.  Most likely in OnMaintUIBefore.  If the default behavior is acceptable, then you can just leave it alone.  Otherwise, you'll need to re-add the functions through the dropdown event lists at the top and fill back in any additional code from before.

Let me know how this goes though and we can take it from there.
user posted image

dainstall

dainstall
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 00:34

TacoBell,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It turned out that one of the functions in one the of .rul files (I'll explain later) has the function call Disable(LOGGING), but I've forgot to call Enable(LOGGING) once it finishes its things.  I did a *stepping through* using debug mode and somehow missed it the first time.  But it's *all good* now.  Thanks.

By the way, some of our installs are huge due to integration of multiple applications, like Microsoft Office for instance.  So I had to write some of the usable components and named them with .rul, i.e. SearchOldApps.rul, SearchAndInstallMDAC.rul, etc., just so the main code won't get to messy and I can reuse them for other projects.

Thanx,
dainstall