This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

combined installs

2 replies to this topic

IWGT

IWGT
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 18:05

Currently, we have 8 different installs to maintain for the same product and I am looking for ways to consolidate them effectively.

We originally created an installscript install using Installshield pro 7. This original install included all 3 components of the product and the customer could choose one or more of the 3 components during install.

Then we acquired a new customer that insisted on having an MSI-based install. So we created an MSI install that included all 3 components. A customer wanted a separate install for each different component so we also ended up creating 3 new MSI installs - one for each separate component. Then, another customer insisted on separate installshield setups for each component. So now we have 8 different installs. 1 combined installscript install, 3 separate component installscript installs, 1 combined MSI install, and 3 separate component MSI installs.

Each time that we were given these requests, we simply created a new version of the install, because we have always been extremely rushed.

I know there has to be a good way to consolidate these projects into one (or maybe 2 - one MSI and one Installscript) project, but still allow the customers who want separate installs for the different components to have what they want too.

What would be the best way to do this? Would it make sense to create one master install that could call other installs based on user selections or command line parameters?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 14:27

For the MSI based install you could make one BasicMSI project that includes all three components. Then use Release Flags to create three additional releases which only include one component each.
I don't think the same is possible for InstallScript projects.

IWGT

IWGT
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 21:27

Stephan,
thanks for the suggestion on using release flags forthe MSI install.

For the installscript install, I am using the DoInstall function to call the 3 separate installs from a master install. Not exactly the perfect solution, but the best way that I could find.