This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

run msi inside another msi

5 replies to this topic

elme

elme
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 19:56

Hi, i need to install an external aplication (who comes as msi file and i didin´t find it as exe file) in the installation process of my msi proyect. An error message appear because "there is another installation process running". Is there a way of run this msi during my proyect installation?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:39

The best way would be an external launcher application that will run the two msi setups in a row. Otherwise you could launch the other msi from the UI sequence, but only on NT/2000/XP/2003, not on 95/98/Me. Also if your setup runs in silent mode this wouldn't work. Another option would be a nested msi custom action, but they have some serious problems and limitations so I wouldn't recommend this.
An external tool (could also be a CD autorun frontend) is the preferred solution.

baking

baking
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 20:51

Sorry to hijack the thread but.......using an external tool sounds like a good idea, but could you still deploy the application via Active Directory?
smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:48

Short answer: you can't. The lauincher thing is good for end user installs.
In a managed environment I would document the prerequisite as a system requirement and have the adnministrator roll out the two MSIs separately. You can use a launch condition in the second MSI to ensure it doesn't get installed if the first MSI isn't installed yet.

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:49

smile.gif Just joined the site today, new to this technology.

How about this...

If the 2nd MSI doesnot require any input from user and also if there is no such condition as the 1st MSI needs to be installed before the installation of the 2nd then I hope MSI merging is the better option as it will be bit easy, and installation and uninstallation happens properly.

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:01

Hi,

I would take this oportunity and say:
Do not use nested installations (as it was recommended by Stefan).

The core problem with this mechanism is in the upgrade and removal of your "host" application (the one that "hosts" the nested setup).

I have been "suffering" from this issue myself for a while, and do not want others to make the same mistakes smile.gif

Igal