This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repackaging an admin install

2 replies to this topic

codec

codec
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:06

Is there a way you can pack an extracted admin install back into a CAB file?

I've got a version of an installation that is in the admin format, and I'd like to wrap it up into something more compact to distribute. Is there are easy way to do the inverse of msiexec /a?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 13:40

The whole point of an admin install is to extract files to use as a network image. If you don't want the extracted structure of an admin image, just apply your transform to the unextracted base MSI.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

codec

codec
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 13:59

QUOTE (Glytzhkof @ 2007-01-10 12:40)
The whole point of an admin install is to extract files to use as a network image. If you don't want the extracted structure of an admin image, just apply your transform to the unextracted base MSI.

Whilst that's all true, I have an admin install which I no longer have the CAB version for. I did this originally as I needed it for production purposes to produces patches against.

I find myself in the slightly embarrassing situation I need to distribute a specific version in its entirety, and want to make something more compact. I guess I could just zip up the whole thing, but repacking it would be preferable.