This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSIs Vs. EXE

2 replies to this topic

finding_this_difficult

finding_this_difficult
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 16:28

My Project is a Basic MSI and I have added a few InstallScripts to gain some added functionality (Conditionals depending on this or that etc). Currently if I build it as an MSI and I give it to someone to test, it requires the ISScript.msi. So I package it into an EXE and that works, but I am wondering if I lose the MSI funcationality that allows administrators to push the install out to their clients? Ideally I would like to package it into one MSI, but it seems that with the addition of InstallScripts, I lose that ability.

Any thoughts or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
A

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 13:59

Yes, if you package your project with a setup.exe, administrators will be unable to push it using ADS. (I think SMS will still handle it...)

However, I've heard people say that they have had success using a Basic MSI and including the iscript merge module, so you might want to look into that. I may partly depend on where in the sequences you're using the scripted custom actions.

Hope this helps
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:21

Make sure you enable the option to include the installscript engine with your setup.exe and you will be fine. Deployment guys will run a setup.exe /a to get an admin image, and they will see the isscript.msi file and know that it needs to be deployed as a precondition for the main msi.

Problems generally result when the main msi is set up to download the isscript.msi from the internet. Never do this for any setup that may be used for large scale deployment!
Regards
-Stein Åsmul