This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallValidate action

3 replies to this topic

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 15:54

Hi,
I'm working with InstallShield 2008 (Basic MSI) and I'm wondering how to know according to which parameters does the InstallValidate action "decides" wether a feature/component should be installed or not.

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 16:57

From the top of my head I'd say: feature selection status, feature and component conditions, existance and version of the key element of the component and of the file itself (if not the same).

lilache

lilache
  • Full Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:20

Thanks for your response, I have a followup question:
I'm not sure I understand what you meant in:
feature selection status
I don't give the end user the option to choose which features to install.

Also, I have some components that are dedicated to registry entries and the key file of these components is a registry key, so if the components has no condition, it should be installed every time?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:08

You can still use feature conditions, or select features on the command line.

If you don't have feature conditions or component conditions, and don't select/exclude features or component in any other way (command line, dialog, ...) then everything should be selected for installation. But it still depends on existing stuff and its version, and the overwrite settings.